The use of Medium No.1 saves time as no prior mixing is required. It can be used to obtain even watercolour effects. Two thin coats of oil paint will give a better coverage than one thick layer and will provide a better surface for future work. A very important advantage of using Medium No.1 is that it dries over night. The drying rate can be increased by adding 5ml of Light Drying Oil per 100ml of medium. More than the recommended amount could effect the quality and permanency of the paint. Another recommended use of Medium No. 1 is as a ‘sealer’ or cushion over acrylic primed canvas. Simply coat the acrylic gesso with the medium prior to use and allow it to dry, or work on it wet.
- permanent artists painting medium.
- easy to apply. Simply dip in your brush when required.
- rapid drying. It can dry (harden) overnight.
- Allows colour brilliance. Using this medium allows white ground to glow through.
- Preparing a coloured ground. Simply add a small amount of oil paint to the medium.
- Underpainting. Can quickly lay down an under painting by rubbing with a soft cloth or one of the larger sized brushes.